Last updated March 31, 2020
Hilltop Artists goes Virtual
Starting March 27, 2020, our incredible teachers began piloting our virtual community – our way of staying connected and supporting our students.
In the coming weeks, we will be sharing more opportunities including Zoom check-ins for our students, and, for our greater community, look forward to featured artist takeovers on social media, and weekly glass curriculum. Learn with our students!
On March 23, 2020, Governor Inslee issued the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order, expanding on the March 12, 2020 closure of All K-12 schools in Pierce, King, Snohomish counties until April 24. This will continue to greatly impact our students and programs. Discussions and decisions are ongoing and we will continue to share information.
As the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department states on their website,
“The risk of COVID-19 in Washington is increasing. Public health is identifying more cases in the state. This suggests COVID-19 is spreading in Washington.”
We are working with Tacoma Public Schools and following the district’s plan, who are in turn taking direction from the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
PROGRAMS & EVENTS CHANGES
Our team of educators and mentors are hard at work to develop virtual programming options for our After-School, Arts Connect, and Team Production students, as well as resources for our Daytime students to explore.
Our Virtual Community has begun. Learn more here!
- DAYTIME ELECTIVES, AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMMING, TEAM PRODUCTION, and ARTS CONNECT programs at Jason Lee Middle School and Wilson High School are all currently cancelled.
We will share resources and opportunities to virtually explore glass art and techniques on our website in the coming weeks.
- ARTS CONNECT SHOWCASES are cancelled and will be rescheduled.
- WINTER WARMERS: We have postponed our March 27 Winter Warmers event. Our hope is to reschedule an event with artist Jen Elek and our youth in the Spring.
- MAY SPRING SALE was originally scheduled for May 2, 2020 and is postponed.
Help Hilltop Artists continue to care for students, support our staff, and sustain our programs by making a donation here.
- Find Tacoma Public Schools updates here.
- The City of Tacoma has a helpful list of resources here.
- The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department shares information and updates daily here.
SAFETY IN THE HOT SHOP
For the past month, instructors at Hilltop Artists have started every class and program session with a hygiene and hand-washing reminder.
We have also made hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes for blow-pipes, and disinfectant wipes for surfaces available for all students.
We remind students regularly to make hygiene a priority, and we adhere to a twice daily classroom cleaning schedule.
Tips and recommendations to keep yourself and your family safe:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Use a tissue or your elbow to cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough. Throw used tissues in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Stay home and away from others when you’re sick.
Important planning suggestions:
- Make a plan for school, daycare, and adult care closures.
- Establish a kit that can last up to 14 days with food, water/fluids, cold, and flu relief products, prescription medications and pet food in case you need to stay home.
- Practice Social Distancing strategies, such as working from home and limiting in-person meetings by using go-to meeting/conference calls, etc.
Please reach out at email@example.com or 253-571-7692 if you have any questions.